Thanks for the tip on the ECU problem, guys. I just now got back from my 3.5 hour Google research mission! See, this is why I quit posting on Moparts years ago - I get carried away and spend too much time reading tech stuff! Seriously though, I found out enough to confirm that the injector problem may indeed be caused by the failing cap(s). It's now after 10:00, I haven't eaten dinner, and I have to get up early, so I'll have to get back to the vehicle in the coming days, rainy weather permitting. I'll let you know what I find.

To Rick: Yes, I'd be very interested in the diagrams. PM me, please. As for the cap issue, by "drying out" I'm including losing electrolyte due to leakage. (There's less in there.) I'm sure you're aware that high temp hastens their demise, leading to swelling, venting, leakage and/or drying out. Any of these are usually accompanied by a significant increase in ESR. The ones that are just drying up but not showing the other symptoms are the hardest ones to catch. That's why I really miss the ESR meter I used at a former employer's. Also, I believe it can be a self-feeding problem, as I've seen some where the cap itself was running hot with the increased ripple. (This is where an under-spec'd voltage rating like you mentioned can really come into play.) An under-engineered component value (like cap rated voltage or temp) is something that the manufacturers can often get away with, given the fact that the warranty can expire before the problem rears its ugly head. I've replaced tons of electrolytics in computer, audio and video equipment, the latest being my bro's failed Mitsubishi (surprise!) big screen TV which was less than 5 years old. I replaced the original 25V, 85-deg. caps with 35V, 105-deg. ones, and fresh Panasonic ones from Digi-Key at that, not the cheap crap that they put in it.

Thanks again.
-Allan

(FKA Racer Al back in 2000...)