]I have a '69 Charger R/T 440 automatic that I originally bought in 1970. About twelve years ago we installed a used 1976 440 and Torqueflite trans. Both came from a good running truck, although the engine and trans were not original to the truck. I was told the trans had a shift kit in it, which I believe by the way it full-throttle upshifts. Problem with it is when in Drive it shifts normally from first o second, but then to get it to shift into third I have to run the car up to approx. 40-50 mph. It then shifts as it should, (meaning no overlap). Then, when slowing back down from speed, it downshifts (noticeably) at approx. 20 mph.

The car has a Bouchillon kick down cable, supposedly adjusted according to Bouchillon's instruction booklet. The car is also running a tight 3500 rpm converter and a B&M flex plate (The 440 has a cast iron crankshaft). I'm told the trans has an internal problem and will have to be rebuilt. I was hoping maybe someone on here has had a similar problem. and if they did, what did it take to fix it? I realize a rebuild should care any ills, but I don't want to go there unless it's necessary to make it shift as it should. Thanks for any and all input.

Steve