Originally Posted by cudadoug
Originally Posted by Brewzer67
4.375 x 4.375
10.85 compression
Ported TrickFlow PP 270's
.714 tight lash solid roller (262@.050Int/268@.050Exh)
.035 quench
20 degrees initial - 34 total in by 2800. Advance set to not start coming in until ~1600rpm (probably switching to locked distributor this summer)
180 stat
3800 stall
4.30 gear
3800 lb Coronet

I run just regular 93 pump gas and have had no issues with detonation so far. No signs of it on any plugs, and nothing that was audible. I did sweat the details and made sure I knocked the sharp edges off anything in the combustion area and also polished the chambers to fight carbon buildup. I am a firm believer in a tight quench motor. My last build ran .027 piston to head clearance. On teardown I could see the slightest hint of a witness mark on the intake side of a few pistons so I opened it up a little on my next build. I didn't see any hint of collapsing the rind lands so I figure I was ok but still wanted a little insurance.

I hope this helps.

That sounds like a nice combo! Any time slips that you care to share?

Unfortunately not yet. With what the heads flow (382@750 and really nice mid-lift numbers to match), I am hoping for anything sub 10 seconds. On paper, it should make it there but real life seldoms meets those predictions. Based on the prior motor, I am thinking it will likely be somewhere in the 10.20's. So far it is the best compromise motor I've built. Starts right up all the time, idles off within 40 or 50 seconds of running in 50 degree temps and isn't a pain to drive on the street or highway (other than the 4.30's being a little big but a tall tire and overdrive help that). It makes 2.5 hour journeys without flinching and still gets 11+ to the gallon on the highway.