Thanks everyone for the replies, great information and advice as always from you guys!

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Did you ever have the old 906’s flow tested?

More than likely, a set of cleaned up Stealths would outflow the old 906’s...... and since if the 906’s weren’t cracked you’d be reusing them....... they should work at least as well as what you were originally going use.

That’s the least expensive path forward.

A set of “stage 1.5” Stealths will outflow all but the very best 906’s(285-290).
Ootb they’re usually in the 255-260 range.

No Dwayne, never had the old heads on a bench to know what they flowed. The 906's had the old crappy MP valves and were only mildly ported, so I have no doubt that OOTB Stealths will make a lot more HP than the old 906's. And yes, they are much cheaper (more than 50%) than other head choices but they also will make less HP, require someone making the VJ right and replacing the springs and possibly the valves. I have no idea if the valves they come with are any good with a solid roller and moderate spring pressures? So after all of the things that need to be done to make them "right" for his combo they really won't be that much of a cost savings, maybe none at all.

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've use lash caps on every solid roller cam motor I've built after having to file the top of all the valves that the spring pressures from solid roller cams had mushroomed the valve stem tips(tops of the stem) out enough to not allow them to slide out of the valve guides work
Lash caps are your friend on solid roller cam motors, especially if your using stock type valves thumbs scope
Make sure and get the pushrod lengths correct also, one to three complete threads showing on the adjusters under the rocker arms scope thumbs
IHTH

You make a good point Cab, the lash caps are great for taking the beating of the solid roller, even though this one isn't that wild, it still will have fairly stiff springs and sharp roller ramps. The issue I have is I have no idea how bad the scrub problem is. Is it offset by .010 or is it off .250? I'm ok with lash caps, just have no idea what I'm dealing with in this scenario. I know it was bad enough for HS to make a separate rocker for the head, so that tells me that that geometry is off more than a little bit. It's all of the unknowns that have us stuck where we're at. Not having access to the parts beforehand to touch and feel them in person makes it really hard to know what direction to go.

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup