So I've looked at the pictures and am wondering when you guys are going to start wearing bib overalls and smoking corncob pipes?

I was there when these cars were new and I can tell you without a doubt that the FIRST thing that got changed was the wheels. Chrome 5-spoke wheels like Cragar S/S were top of the list. But nobody, and I mean nobody bragged about stock steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps. If you couldn't afford the Cragars then the chrome steel slots were OK but everyone would know that you were too poor to buy a "real mag".

That's another thing. I didn't hear them called "poverty caps" until maybe 20 years ago. I think that was a clever phrase coined by some Hot Rod Magazine writer looking to add punch to a story. I encourage the person who disputes that to post a copy of the oldest printed word using the phrase "poverty caps". With my luck it'll probably be 1949, but I want to know.

Anyway, back in the day a real car had to have five spoke or five slot wheels. Stock steel rims didn't make the grade.

Best Regards,
R.