Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
Referring to Dunnucks test........ I generally feel that engine builders who work with a lot of the same type of motors often have a good feel for what they like for camshafts.

This proved to be the case in that series of cam tests with the 421 stroker.
Dave Hughes had more experience with that type of build than whoever they got on the phone at the other cam suppliers.
I felt the Comp cams in particular that were tested were pretty far off from what I would have used.
Comp has some really nice lobes available, but what they’re offering for solid flat tappet drag race listings in the catalog leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah I've learned this lesson the hard way several times over the years. Certain cylinder heads prefer certain lobes. Guys who work with the same engine combination over and over gradually acquire this knowledge. Guys sitting on the tech line at a cam company may or may not have any knowledge of the specific cylinder head being used.

If I call Comp Cams I'll get a cam recommendation that is very close in terms of duration but typically the lobe family won't be spot on.

The 590 is one of those old school cams that works great when it is paired up with the matching parts. I used one once a long time ago and it ran hard but we used it with some old school heads and intake.