Originally Posted By 8pack
I know this is an old thread but I finally had time to pull the engine to take a look at the carnage. Just as I suspected the thrust bearing is toast to the point the crank was starting to touch the face of the main caps but didnt do any damage to the block. I verified the clutch was not pushing on the crank while disengaged.

I got a little history lesson in the process of the inspection. Mopar increased the face of the thrust bearing in 73 but that didnt affect the Hemi because it was already out of production. Fast forward to the production of the crate engines and Mopar kept the small thrust bearing face. I believe the combination of the poor machine work, small face thrust bearing with a plain flat thrust surface and the twin disc increased pressure on the surface was responsible for killing it.

Now for the best solution? I am waiting for my new crank to show so I can see if the crank has enough area on the thrust to have the block machined to accept the large area thrust bearing or if I am stuck with the small area thrust bearing. If I am stuck with the small area thrust does anyone have any recommendations where I should change to the style with oil passages and thrust pads or the style with scallopes taken out of the inner face while retaining the outer plain face?

A good machine shop can machine the block for a roller thrust.