Quote:

Dave,

I think I have a pretty much stock points disty
with the exception of a pertronix kit. To I need
to take it to a speed shop to limit timing or
can I set it up myself?

If you are ambitious to take the distributor apart you can limit the advance yourself but either welding up the slots or using epoxy to shorten them. If you don't want to tear into it then having it done or buying an adjustable distributor like the Mopar Performance unit is the way to go.

Find the initial advance your engine wants then subtract that from 35-36 to get the total mechanical advance number you are shooting for. Buy and $.39 protractor at the stationary sore and glue it to an old rotor (center of protractor over center of shaft). Tape an old coat hanger to the housing to use as a pointer.

With the point plate and pertronix unit removed twist the rotor against the springs and measure the rotation. Double this number to get the crank degrees. Now remove the top half of the shaft with the slots and weld epoxy the outer end of the slot to reduce the length. Trial an error until you get the number you had come up with earlier.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/