I've already knocked the ridge out with a buddy who has done a few engines in his day, so the ridge is gone. Every cylinder wasnt the same, the largest reading I found was about 10 thousanths real close to where the ridge was, and it became about 7 thousanths with little movement and about 5 at the bottom of the bore.

Most of them were between about 4-6 thousanths throughout the bore, as I said the largest was 10, one was 9, and the next largest was 7.

Dave, like I said I wasn't planning to tear it down originally but I took the intake off and found it was a bit sludgey and figured head gaskets come in the kit, may as well pop the heads off. Good thing I did because IT DIDNT HAVE HEAD GASKETS! I dont know why, I assume someone took it apart and put it back together without the gaskets not planning to run it? Anyway, someones been in it before, and they messed up big time. It looks like the rings were replaced before because they didnt look too worn, and the same person replaced the rod bearings with .010 undersized units. Maltese cross with an X, .010 undersized rod bearings right? WRONG, the main bearings were supposed to be undersized. Heads werent pretty either, one valve was burned clear through to the seat. It has one bad cam bearing too (its MISSING PART OF THE BEARING HAHA). The crank looks good though and I cleaned the pistons and rods up and they're in nice shape too. I was very surprised because they didnt seem to sit far below deck at all.

So im picking up a re-ring and bearing kit (comes with a gasket kit) from Mancini. My buddy Pete had a set of 516s lying around, I told him mine were bad I dont want to shell out for machine work how do his look. Looks like they have fresh exhaust valves and seats, if not theyre in GREAT SHAPE. Hes selling me those, the 67 intake I need, and a set of good HP valve springs (should work well for the 272/272 cam I want to run) for 100 bucks

Can someone explain to me the entire idea behind knurling the skirts and how it works?

Also, my factory service manual indicated an allowance of 2 thousanths (4.32-4.322 inch bore) so I guess I can subtract 2 thousanths from any of my measurements.

What have you guys found on engines you've rerung and how did it turn out? Im just worried im going to put this together and have it run like a low compression turd with 100 psi of cranking compression. My last 440 was VERY tight and I think I may have been spoiled with it, I want this one to run the same but not so confident it will.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 03/19/09 03:45 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street