Originally Posted By RAMM
Originally Posted By AndyF

So it doesn't take a huge machine,Yes it does and you know it. It takes an abnormally large Z axis or a 4th axis but then you get into "Sag" it just takes a good machinist who pays attention to the setup<<Yup this is the key right here and gets the block properly fixtured and indexed.

Andy you're a CNC guy as am I. I use a MAZAK Integrex 1850-V 5 axis and have built block fixturing for what can be considered one setup block machining. Still the cam bore and main bores are an issue. Everything will need a lick with a hone to become true round. Horizontal boring is not near as accurate as vertical unless using a piloted arbor. That right angle drive bore head will not be accurate . As you have pointed out a machinist never likes to break setup. Well it still takes a vigilant machinist as CNC's can do wrong. In fact I was chasing tolerances all over until I tracked it down to a worn X-axis ballscrew. It was worn .024" . $30k repair.... It takes a BIG RIGID machine with power to produce (whether it be accuracy or volume or both). J.Rob

We are giving up on our mazak's at work and going with 150 horse spindle Makino's, 1200 ipm and 30K rpm. Should be coming in from Japan next month...those things are going to be loud. $34K to change a ball screw? Seems kinda high. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!