Originally Posted By BradH
If the OP decides to stay with a 3.75 stroke build, there is a really old post of mine that someone copied & reposted here not that long ago that outlined some combinations I ran way before my car became far more strip than street. I don't have a link to it at the moment, though.

OK, dug up the link HERE.

And before anyone asks "What would you do differently today?", I'll cut to the chase:

1. "Ideally", figure out what my end goal was for performance, and spend way less money doing it once than going through the process in so many incremental steps. The problem for me is that I could never define what "Fast Enough" was along the way, until I hit my chassis limitations based on ET tech requirements.

2. Never spend a penny on OEM iron heads, unless I was getting the work done CHEAPLY (but still of high quality). I could copy my old builds down into the very high 10s using something like ported Sidewinders or Edelbrock Performer RPM heads.

3. Dump hydraulic flat-tappet cams; too RPM limited once you get past maybe 500-ish HP and need to rev the engine past 6K regularly

4. Don't go overly aggressive on solid flat-tappet cam lobes; doesn't do much more than beat up your valve train faster for what I don't believe are "huge" gains. I still can't say at what point I'd go solid roller, considering I've only made that change w/ my last build.

5. Don't "cheap out" on the torque converter for a street/strip car. This is probably over simplifying things, but IMO cheap ones either don't last and/or slip too much when you're looking for increased stall speed.

Rant / Lecture = OFF.