Good morning folks....

I have an 87 Ramcharger 5.2 (roller motor) 4x4 that needs a motor rebuild (low oil pressure) for a reliable road trip from OKC to Tacoma WA as I am relocating.

I need to do this on a super tight budget (about $1500) but it needs to be done right. I'll lay out all the facts before I present my questions...I intended not to have to rush this build but life happens.I want to make this a mild performance rebuild and I have a few options to help with that. The Ramcharger will be used as a nice driver with mild trail usage and occasional trailer pulling. 31 inch tires with 3.55 gears.

I have 2 360 short blocks, 1972 an early 80's short block sitting on the shelf (both truck motors). The current 318 is a roller motor with swirl port heads.

My initial thoughts are build a 360 if I can find a way to bump up the compression to 9:1 on the cheap, 274 summit racing cam and I have a used air gap intake. The only set of heads I have are the stock 308 heads which I would rebuild with matching valve springs.

Thought number 2 is just build the 318 as it already is a higher compression motor, same cam and intake and be happy.

Are there any budget bottom end kits that can bump up the compression of the 360 some? Will the 318 heads work well enough on the 360?

Thoughts? ideas? solutions?

Last edited by MrMayhem; 09/17/18 12:11 PM.