I am going in another direction on a project. The 493rb that I have on the stand was originally built with equal parts street/strip in mind. It was originally around 10.5 comp with a set of Edelbrock performers with upgraded springs for a Porter custon solid 255/58 .580 (by memory) cam. My current 69 Satellite has a 528 hemi that is going to go into my wifes 70 Cuda/shaker hood. My thoughts are to cam down a bit for the 493 and turn it more towards a street/Tour type, since I am retired now and have more opportunity to do that kind of thing. I am swapping back to the 3.54 Dana from the 3.73, I acquired a GearVendors to put on my TF. I have a Dynamic 10" converter that flashed around 3700. Before I changed direction, I had the e-brocks cnc ported by Modern and they flow 325 on the intake according to the sheet, will that hurt efficiency due to lower port velocity? the heads were also milled to 79cc and with my combo will be right at 11-1, probably will go to a bit thicker head gasket to reduce that a little. I run a well set up six-pack which will remain. Before the port work, my 4120w/driver ran 11.40's through the full exhaust. Now, my question is, what would you look for in a performance cam, that would be fairly compatible, efficiency wise, with overdrive and cruising at approx 2500 rpm? Lets be clear, I realize it will never be a highly efficient modern engine, but how to optimize what I have as well as possible by cam selection and for example, going from a 108 to a 110 or 112 c/l.? dropping to 238-244@50 duration? Lower? Since I will be changing cams anyway, and I want to stick with a solid. I have a new M/P .528 solid in the box that has been sitting on my shelf for 15 years, I think it would be pretty mild, but AndyF has gotten some good results with it. Hoping to get close to mid 500 horse with good idle charectaristics(think being in Woodward Dream Cruise traffic!)
I have usually only cared about getting the most power out of everything so I will be interested in your opinions on this project.