Originally Posted By CMcAllister
24 base with 36 total. Big cam, not much manifold vacuum. What RPM are you able to get the thing to idle at? In gear? Drilled throttle blades or the throttle opened way up? If its all in by 1500 or 1800, why bother with idle problems?

I can lock it out, set the throttle blades where they're supposed to be in relation to the transfer slots, make it idle at 800 in gear with a big flat tappet or roller, great throttle response, runs great. Timing is rock steady at any speed rather than chasing the base around at idle with light springs. What am I doing wrong?

I don't see anything wrong. I use light springs in my dist that has full advance all in by 1800 rpm. Basically I set my total at 36 as that's what my car seems to like best and let the initial fall where it does. Which on my car its got around 24 degrees at idle in park. It runs great like that and has no ping at all on 92 pump. I see some guys run locked out timing on their cars but I never have. But to be honest when you think about it the setup we run and guys like Gus which his sounds about like mine is not all that far from being locked out. Course we don't have to much timing when cranking the eng but once its running and we hit the gas we are almost at total timing right after hitting the gas pedal some. I like the ight springs all in by 1800 to 2000 rpm as it works nicely on my street driven car. Ron