I need to change the color of my convertible top from white to black. My options are 1) to dye or paint the rear curtain and replace the top itself, or 2) just dye both.

I'm aware the topic of vinyl dye/paint has been discussed many times here over the years, SEM paint seems well regarded and preparation is the key to success. I'm also aware that the terms 'dye' and 'paint' are often used interchangeably but are actually different processes, the obvious meaning being that a dye runs right through the material and a paint sits on top. Clearly in theory a dye would be better as it could not wear off. However, some maintain that there is no such thing as a vinyl dye as vinyl cannot absorb a liquid.

OK, my questions!
Is dying OR painting a convertible top realistic?
I know vinyl roofs have been done but a vert top is folded back on itself and when retracted I think the considerable weight of the top forces two (dyed/painted) surfaces of the top against each other, potentially for a long time and in hot environmental conditions. Would a paint or dye hold up? Might I need to re-dye at a later date (and if so, is that really such an issue?)

Does Vinyl DYE actually exist?
A number of manufacturers advertise it, e.g. Varikote, VHT, Duplicolor, etc. They specifically makes statements such as "this is NOT a paint, it is a dye that penetrates the surface...blah blah".
However, some of them also indicate that eventually it might wear off, which doesn't seem consistent with my definition of a dye. Looking at the MSDS they seem to contain Acetone, toluene etc - are they in effect 'melting' the surface to get the color 'penetrating', albeit not going right through the material? If so, is this any better than a good paint?

Buying a new black curtain is not an option right now, but I do have a black top I could use. However the existing top/curtain are still in great shape, I fitted them many years ago and could not guarantee to make a similarly good job next time! So dying the whole thing would be the easiest and safest route - I guess it will depend on whether consensus is that dyeing the curtain alone would last longer than dyeing the whole top (most of the curtain is not exposed and you wouldn't get the surface-to-surface contact), and how long I might expect the whole thing to hold up.

Opinions and experience welcomed!!