The earliest 3944 (+ others) wedge blocks have a ditch machined next to the motor mount ears (presumably for bolt head clearance). As a result early Wedge blocks can POTENTIALLY be thin in that area. (From water jacket to outside of block, right next to the stock motor mounts). Most of them are fine. Most. But, take a look.

If you have this early variant with the ditch, definitely don't be afraid to run it...Just use a motor plate whether on a dyno or in a car.

If you have a sonic tester with a flat probe (personally I just have an ebay cheapie, not the big baller lab $tuff), you may find the probe will fit into the ditch to give a better idea of thickness...It might be 3/8 thick which may seem good to go! Well, even if the material is sufficiently thick, the ditch machining was finished in a very "squared off" manner, and it is a stress riser.

Now...If you have the later version without the ditch (I'd have to go and check on the exact date we fixed it, but I believe it was 2008 to early 2009), that's a better block than the older one. However after seeing how much the side of the block distorts....I'd really recommend a motor plate for most apps.

Needless to say there is a old story or 14 surrounding this.

The Hemi never had this exact issue, as the mounts were completely chopped off.

Check the block for a machining date (stamped/etched in) and report back if possible.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri