Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
Just to throw something in the mix that somewhat contradicts the “bigger is better” theme.....

The biggest was still the best, but just barely.

3 carbs, all tested at the track on the same day, back to back, no other changes.
-built from scratch ProForm HP750, 4779 metering blocks, std Holley baseplate
-built from scratch Holley HP950, Holley HP metering blocks, Braswell stepped boosters, baseplate with thinned shafts
-CFS modified 4781 with annular boosters and thinned shafts

All ran within a few hundredths ET and 1MPH....... running 11.40’s with my 383.

In my testing on my junk and at LEAST 180+ carbs for customers thus far, most of the time myself or my customers set a new best and run cleaner and faster. Not because of "theory" or Hot Rod magazine said so but actual facts like above in fast's testing. FACT; The more power you make, the more air flow needed to get the best performance out of the combo ESPECIALLY if the size or tune was off on the previously tested carb. What I see more than anything though is not just the carbs being too big or small but the actual calibration within the carbs are off for the cfm and intended application and the over emulsified, too big of high speed bleeds to compensate just kill em and make them APPEAR to be wrong and when tuned properly, the car/truck or whatever runs and drives much better.
I've put more "Too big" Dommy's on more stuff than I can remember and every single one is happier and faster than before even small blocks are getting reported 12+ mpg's with the baddest carb ever, the all mighty DOMINATOR..............One example; a basic but cammed up .030 454 Chevy in a flat bottom boat that had two 3-circuit 1050's running a blubbery as usual 120+ on the water then after my usual 2 circuit conversion, he goes 130+ and the plugs lasted all season and he's beyond happy so it's not just about will this or that cfm be right for your combo it's about a properly calibrated carb or carbs............. thumbs

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....