Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By moparx
the steering arms are part of the lower balljoint, so putting spacers between them and the spindle effectively shortens the tierod length, thus toe out occurs. [i'm talking rear steer, factory setup] in other words, the steering arm must physically be pushed inward to bolt up to your tierod assembly when you didn't alter your tierod length after you used the spacers. the tierod needs to be lengthened to get the toe back where it should be.
beer

Maybe you need to go look at that again.

You are changing the relationship of the steering arm to the spindle, not to the LCA, or the tierods. the tierods relationship to the steering arm is fixed by the location of the LCA ball joint mounting hole. Unless you are only putting one spacer ont he spindle then it matters not.

Odds are better that all the front suspension work he did is the culprit, I quote

Quote:
I just got my tires back on the ground after a suspension overhaul. New QA1 UCAs, QA1 LCAs, Hotchkis/Fox Shocks, 1.14" Torsion bars/Hotchkis lowering leaf springs, fresh lower ball joints...and Mancini's camber spacers.

Front suspension

you are correct, but. he said it appears to be toed OUT. after all the suspension work done, it definitely needs an alignment. if you replace the tierods and set the lengths the same as the originals, you still need to correct the toe due to the different [new] parts used. adding the spacers to the steering arms WILL effectively shorten the tierod due to the reasons i stated. doesn't matter if the spacers are 1/4" thick or 1/2" thick. and yes, this DOES change the relationship of the steering arm to the spindle, and your other points are indeed valid. however, the OP asked why his ride could be "toed out", and i told him [only] one possibility. this does NOT answer his question of why it pulls one way or the other. all three adjustable items on front suspensions can, and will, cause a pull if way out of wack. [as you know] an alignment is definitely needed due to all the parts replaced. [i fully agree with you]
beer