Originally Posted By HotRodDave
I lap them not to get them to seal, a good valve job should get them to seal, but you lap them as a poor mans way of checking to make sure they are touching all the way around and the sealing surface is more than just a sharp edge. Checking with fluid alone does not tell you if it has a good contact area, espercially important on the exhaust for heat transfer. Could also be sealing against the wrong side of the margin, I like to see them seal more against the outside edge of the valve face than the inside but just checking with fluid you will never know. Also if the machine shop assembles them they could have left a layer of oil or grease or something that seals them instead of the metal metal contact (I had a shop in texas do this one time and had to have them re-do a slant six head when I was 17 and they argued with me that they did not have to seal with just metal to metal, never used them again). If you have to grind them a bunch with lapping compound to get them to seal you can end up with a curved sealing surface, I have done this in a pinch on junk yard builds but it aint the right way for a good engine. Just use lapping for checking the machine shops work not grinding.

This. And food for thought - many machine shops have went to 3 angle cutters to do their "production" valve jobs instead of using stones, to save time dressing the seats in the heads. While the cutters are great to remove material for larger valves, IMO they are not intended to be used as the sole method of dressing seats. IMO it is absolutely necessary to lap in the valves on heads that have had cutters used for the seats, to smooth out the inherent chatter bumps from the cutters.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........