Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
A few questions for ya.. is this a street car..
(assuming its a street/strip set up) you can
put the timing back to give you more clearance..
what head gaskets thickness.. can you give the
open/close specs on the can(this will help tell
you if you can move the cam.. I just cut a set
of pistons yesterday to lower my compression..
you can also cut the valve pockets to help if you
dont want to move the cam.. ( I always use a zero
lash to get my setting.. just saying)
wave

Thanks for your questions. I use a FelPro composition head gasket that measures right around .040" thick.

I measured the amount the intake valves protrude into the combustion chamber and get just shy of .080" which causes me to wonder if there's something amiss on the heads/valves. This is even more than I guessed at just looking at them.

Anyway, cam specs:

Duration @ .050 261
Lobe lift 368
lobe separation 103

seat duration @ .020 295
gross valve lift .552
lash (hot) .026 .028

I'd not driven the car on the street for many years. Trying to avoid taking it completely apart to cut pistons, etc. My intent was to get the car going again (after 20 years of sitting) and make some passes with it for old time's sake. I've had the car since the early 70's.

Mid 90's I'd switched the car from 4 speed to automatic, and at that time bought this cam after consulting with the supplier. Put the cam in, broke it in and took the car out on the road to try out the 727 only to run into a bunch of problems. Fought with it for a few weeks and ultimately just put it away for another day. Life then got in the way.

Over the 20 years I had someone reputable go back through the 727, bought a new converter, changed the gears from 4:89 to 4:56 and welded up a new set of fenderwell headers for it, but that was the extent of progress.

This winter I've gone through all the brakes, fuel system, the carburetor, and so on.

So my preference is to find a solution that will allow me to bolt the top end back together and go from there. If it all works, great. If not, who knows. I gotta admit I burned out on drag racing back then, so still not sure how deep I want to get financially into the whole deal.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts. I'll shut up now.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way