Started lining things up to reassemble my 426 wedge after a very long hibernation, and am now concerned.

I bought a rebuilt set of 906 heads some time back, with new valves in place. Comparing these to my old set of 906's I noticed the new valves sit 'higher' in the combustion chamber than the old ones ( which I'd reground at least once years ago)

Since my engine has domed pistons, I assembled things with head gasket, using the clay on top of piston routine. Set valve clearance according to cam specs and turned the engine over twice in the normal rotation direction.

The first time I did this I was somewhat shocked by how close the intake valve appeared, so I started over and did it all a second time.

It looks like I've about 18 thousandths clearance between intake valve and the piston valve relief. My assumption is this is too tight.

I had run this cam years ago in the engine, long enough to break it in, but had not made it to the track with the car before putting it away. At that time the old heads were installed, with the valves sitting deeper in the seats. There's got to be 25+ thousandths difference in valve height on the seat, between old and new heads.

Cam is not really radical, with .550 lift. I'd not anticipated this concern till today.

Opinions please? Thanks in advance.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way