Old Ray, did you get the axle saver bearing with a sleeve that goes over the axle, or that shifts the location the roller bearings run on the axles? I've actually seen both types. The ones with the sleeves raise the bearing itself up off the axle shaft about 1/8".

When I replaced the bearing in my 9 1/4", a saver bearing was the only thing available. The one I had shifted the bearing to a different location on the axle shaft. Unfortunately, my axle had already had a bearing running on that part of the axle as well. I installed a different axle. When I put the axle in, I couldn't get the "C" clip in, the axle set out too far. I ended up really hitting the race hard to get the bearing back into the axle housing far enough to get the clip on. I suspect someone had left the bearing not seated fully in the housing so the bearing was running on a different place on the shaft. Maybe the slot for the "C" clip was worn, or maybe the "C" clip was worn, I'm not really sure why it was together, but I had a problem putting it back together with the new bearing, axle, and "c" clip.