I have used steel wool on a few small chrome pieces to clean them up. They are not show pieces, but wanted to clean them a bit more than chrome polish alone could do. I was surfing facebook and someone posted a few things that got my brain turning.

Someone said steel wool leaves behind "slivers" and will rust. Would that be an issue if you wipe down the area with detailing spray that you just buffed?

Some say to use steel wool dry and others say window cleaner. I used a small bowl of water so it's not dry. Which is the best method?

I also read fine grade (000 grade) bronze wool works better. Has anyone used this and if so, do you use lube like steel wool?

I have also read aluminum foil and water (or coke) work as well. Anyone try this?

When I used steel wool it was very light pressure, almost like gliding across the surface. I treat the areas as if they were clayed and apply a sealer or wax when done for protection.

I have an old air cleaner that is chrome and I may tape off the bottom side into sections and try different methods, but was wondering what your opinions/experience with this was.