Before the white death and cold came, I bought a new MSD high vibration coil for my car. Years of the Blaster 2 coil being mounted horizontally took its toll and I’ve had oil leaking from it the last few years; figured I’d replace it before it fried.

Anyway, on the new coil where the coil to distributor wire connects, the male end on the coil is tapered so; no coil wire seems to want to stay connected well. The taper essentially pushes the wire off. At the same time, I put a set of Firecore wires on the car and the Firecore coil wire won’t stay on the coil at all; I had to use the old MSD wire. The Blaster 2 male end was straight with no taper and I did not experience this issue. As you all know, a long straight male end with adequate girth and no taper that allows for a good connection is what most of us wish for. laugh

I’ve messed with the actual metal connector on both coil wires and just have not been able to get the wire to make a better connection. I’ve thought about turning the male end on a lathe or something like that to get rid of the taper but, the positive and negative wire studs to power the coil are in the way. I’ve also thought about super gluing the boot to the coil and just always disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor if and when I do need to remove it.

I’m not opposed to buying yet another coil without a taper to eliminate the problem but, don’t know which standard looking coil that can be mounted horizontally will fit the bill with my FBO vacuum advance distributor and MSD 6AL box.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by parksr5; 01/26/18 07:44 PM.