I have seen so many cars wrecked and torn up because of this, I've lost count. Nice cars, not hacked together junk. Seems like at least one every year and I've been doing this since the 70s. Not just Mopars. All kinds and flavors of race cars into the net or the wall.

I always use multiple redundant methods to prevent this on anything I'm involved with. The OE O-ring is OK, but is often lost, ruined or just not used or there is an aftermarket pushrod used that is not cut for the ring. Brake light switches are often plastic, flimsy or missing.

At a minimum, I use a positive mechanical stop on the pedal to limit movement coming back up to a point where there is just some freeplay at the MC. In addition to that, I use a mechanical retainer on the pushrod itself or a kit made just for this. This one is sold by various chassis supply places.

I've also done something as simple as fabing up a cup or strap, which is captured between the MC and firewall or mount, to cover the MC bore with a small hole in it for the pushrod. Then weld a washer on the pushrod or cut a groove and use an e-clip to capture the pushrod under the retainer. There just has to be something on there to keep the brake pedal/MC linkage from falling apart.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.