Originally Posted By crash520
Guys, ref 360, thrust bearing cap to block alignment. I have ARP mains studs, without bearings fitted I noticed the surfaces front and rear of the #3 bearing cap to block did not have a slight miss alignment/step, installed the bearing and others in the block and dropped the crank in, measured crank end float at 0.018”, then installed the #3 cap with thrust bearing, re measured crank end float is now 0.001”.. Block has been align bored and prepped however should the #3 main cap have such an offset? I would have thought the front and rear surfaces should have had a smooth transition?

Just wondering, was this the original cap for the block? if not, it could very well affect that locating. Look at a bunch of caps,and you'll see the holes all over the place in them. ( think like looking at core shift in a part)

Most likely, as mentioned, you will need to ream ( an adjustable blade reamer works fine if you have access) or drill the cap, so that it can properly locate itself.The registers hold the cap in the block and locate it anyhow, the bolts and studs keep it all together. Once you open up the holes, the cap will float, then you can set the thrust with a deadblow hammer. I always start with the crank snout, then back to the flange. Dont be afraid to hit it either, you wont hurt it. You will immediately see the crank spin more freely after you set the thrust from the back.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.