A/MP, don't be afraid to look for good deals on a used short block, or maybe even a long block, especially if it's from a reputable seller.
I've had 2 different cars that ran 9's in the 1/4 mile, simply because I found good deals on short blocks. Add Edelbrock heads and a very affordable solid camshaft and you're flying on the cheap.

The more cubes you can find or afford, the easier it is to go fast.
My current combo is extremely fun, I found a great deal on a 500" stroker kit for a 400 block, found an affordable guy to assemble the short block, got a great deal on used heads and intake and carb. Drove to the track last Saturday, ran 10.69 and drove it home, total blast. Very mild car with low compression, small headers, 3.23 highway gears, never runs hot. I could go as fast or faster with less cubes, but I'd more than likely need more gear, compression etc.

I'm still wanting to build a stroker small block someday soon, which would probably be best for the times you're looking to run(or even stock stroke), and would be a lot easier for fitment and maintenance.
Good luck with your project!

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual