OK, let me give a short run down, and pictures later if I can load them. It's a Neon 2.0 sohc, I wanted a stock rebuild, so I get a Mahle engine kit with cast pistons, and clevite bearings. The crank was polished, and they said it wasn't really egg shaped. So, I only reused the block, rods, and crank. New rod bolts were used. even the head was a nos head, with all of the cam, and rockers and assorted parts new. A Melling oil pump came with the engine kit, standard volume. The engine was primed with a pressure pot, and showed 80 psi when first started. I broken it in with Gibbs break in oil for 800 miles, then Mobil 1. Now, I drive it for 45,000 miles with no problem, and the wife drives it to work one day, she was going 60/70 mph on the interstate, so around 2500 rpm, when it lets go. One rod spun a bearing, got hot, and broke coming through the block, and another rod was bent. After looking at every thing I can't find a reason why this should have happened. The bearings look like they were oil starved, but the crank, except for the broken rod look just fine. I'm building another engine, and want to avoid whatever happened.

Last edited by 71birdJ68; 11/05/17 09:00 PM.