My online lending library shows no Dana 60s or 70s in use as a rear axle in 2006.

I expect the axle in question is from American Axle and Manufacturing (AAM). They are stout, 10.5 and 11.5 ring gears.

In other years, especially behind Diesels, Dodge'd do hybrid axles like a Dana 80 with Dana 70 ends.

Back to the 2006 axle - you shouldn't be able to break it in stock form. If you convert to semi-floating axles, you can pick which ever ends you want to match the brakes you want. Custom axles don't cost that much. But it only is practical if the gear ratio and differential (limited slip or not) are to your liking. And if it'll fit under your car.

I tend to look under '70s Ford 3/4 ton pickups. They are all over the place and all of them have Dana 60 rears that can be converted for car use. Vans have different setups, many equipped with Dana 61s and semi-floating axles, closer to what you'd see under a car.

A 61 may be the hot ticket if you want to run 3.08s or something like that. Otherwise it isn't worth the effort. The D61 was built for highway gears.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 10/17/17 04:33 PM.