Quote:

Quote:

I still don't understand why it would behave any differently with a bigger 2nd gap than a same-size 2nd gap...

Well, the science of it may not be understood, but SpeedPro did some tests and the results are the bottom line. Does anyone have that link to the SpeedPro tests? Brad, perhaps check their web site.

The only tests I saw that SpeedPro described showed the effect of having too small a gap with the top ring. There weren't any that I found that compared tests with the second ring gap.

BTW, the one test did show that the tighter top ring gap made more power right up until the ring's ends started butting together, at which point you can guess the results.

BTW(2), nobody seems to have picked up on one of my previous comments, so I'll restate it:
Quote:

As long as the second gap is at least as big as the first, there shouldn't be any pressure build-up. If there is, then something else is going on that's not being taken into account by simple ring gap math comparisons, such as additional blow-by getting past the ring-to-cylinder contact area, in addition to what would be expected to get through the ring gap.

If that's the case, then you're simply making it wider for the undefined "what if?" scenario.

Last edited by Brad_Hawk; 04/24/06 11:45 AM.