Well, the work began last week. Before that, its been budgeting, collecting parts, securing parts, and trading stuff. I gotta say... in almost 30 years, and probably 40 cars, i have NEVER had a project fall into place like this one before. Everyone is so quick to note how nasty the rust is... and it is... but dammit... this car WANTS to be built, and driven. I've pulled the interior and gutted the engine compartment ov anything i'm not gonna use, and aside from the 74-only shoulder belt system (which fought me EVERY step ov the way) which... i had no intention ov using anyways, every screw and bolt, every piece... cooperated. Thats saying a LOT considering how rusty this sucker is... like, i'm pretty sure it was parked on its roof in a swamp for a couple years rusty... I have NEVER seen interior pieces... all ABOVE the door line... so rusty. The skeleton under the headliner is pretty rotten... so i'll be cutting out the bad and piecing in the new. I might take this opportunity to lose a bit more weight. I dont really need the structure... as i'll be roll-bar and subframe-connecting this thing.

Here's just the sheer luck i've had so far... off the top ov my head:

- My 74 front bumper magically turned into a 70, just with the cheesy bumperettes (toss).

- My cheapass found 'em in the trunk headers i was going to sell to fund my Dougs 453r headers turned out to BE Dougs 453r headers! ($750 savings). Good thing no one scooped 'em before i figured this out! What the hell... are the chances???

- Scored a used Magnum cam: Bullet custom 237/245@50 w .555 lift and 108 lobe centers... So with the added compression (9.5:1 to 10:1 actual, depending on how i do it) this sucker's gonna chop like a top-fuel Harley...

- I just happen to have a straight, complete 70 rear bumper, then a 70-71 rear quarter pops up used for $100... Now just need another, and some marker lights

- Found some 70-71 fiberglass fenders, nice quality, nice shape... cheap

- Found some 70 taillights too... now just need a tail panel (a friend might have one)

- Found a driver-quality black rear seat at the swap meet for $30

- The guy i sold my red 70 to was nice enough to GIVE me back my 295/50 BFG's... he delivered all 4 for free

- He's also giving me my little non-sport mirror back so i can delete the dual sport mirrors

Further... the universe conspires to make this sucker a lightweight. I've since picked up, mostly used:

- Crosswind aluminum air-gap intake for the 360 Magnum i'm putting together (new in box)
- aluminum underdrive pulleys
- MP aluminum valve covers (though non-Magnum ones... hoping to trade for Magnum ones)
- aluminum driveshaft
- 19lb 15x8" steel wheels (sooooo nice...) These were bought new.
- got a T/A hood being built for me, should be done in a week
- fiberglass fenders

Also... i may have found the holy grail... a 295/50-15 tire that ISN'T garbage car-show fare. Found me some new ultra-high performance H-rated meats that might just hold the road with the suspension mods i have planned. First phase anyways... ultimately, and unfortunately... i'll be going to 18" at my first opportunity.

Preliminary math should put this thing around 3150lbs curb... and thats before i start really hacking, or spending money. With the next engine and phase two mods i can easily see this thing under 3000lbs... which is cruisin' for a 74 E-body and a 4-speed. These cars in this spec start out around 3550lbs. With the default 360 Magnum throw-together build i'll have a bit over 400HP, or with the more ambitious (more budget really) 'trick' throw-together sleaze build i'll have closer to 450HP. This sucker should fly...

Last edited by Pale_Roader; 06/14/17 07:29 AM.