Ok, so this topic has come up quite often but I'm going to raise it again.

Firstly, I know guys have painted their dashes with all kinds of finishes. Some have used rattle can "flat", some 'semi gloss" others using low gun pressure, others using Rustoleum "textured" and others using somewhat original lacquer with the suede additive and some have used powder coating.

Personally, I've used a rattle can "Mopar restoration" textured dash finish AND the Rustoleum textured finish. In MY opinion, these are the closest to original "texture" you can get (based on my original dash finish). This is not to say the finish can't be duplicated other ways - whatever floats your boat !!

HOWEVER ... while I was able to get a decent finish on most of the dash, I just could not get the top (most noticeable area) consistent. After sanding it off and retrying at least four times I'm still left with an inconsistent finish (flat spots).

SO ... I've decided that since the dash isn't something you can just pop out any old time and redo, its gotta be right before it goes in. That said I've decided that shooting it with a gun is the only way to get the spray pattern correct to do this surface.

So it now comes down to paint.

The original stuff was lacquer AND it can still be mixed to the original formula and purchased.

HOWEVER, according to the TCP Global website (see link below), the formula can also be mixed in Acrylic Enamel, Urethane or Basecoat. The urethane being more durable than lacquer.

So my question is:

Has anyone out there had the suede finish mixed in anything other than lacquer and what was the end result?

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/