Originally Posted By mickm
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Mick,

usually most of the Holley re-issue carbs come with the black or brown springs, replace both springs at the same time, don't stagger their rating, IMHO if your experiencing a "hesitation" during the out board carbs coming on line it's because of the slow opening rate of the heavier springs, if you were experiencing a bog/break down during the transition then I'd say your opening too rapidly and need a heavier spring

Put the WHITE springs in and go up the color scale if you need more delay, and or higher RPM tip in, you need to know what's in your carbs before even operating them, I hope you put new plugs in the motor?, HEMI's run a bit lean on cylinders 5 and 6 running the six pack, your jet change may be for the good? but I'd read the cylinders after a few good runs on fresh plugs

Normally I'd recommend the clear sight plugs on the carbs fuel bowls, but the plugs are really sucking with today's plastics and today's gas, but I would buy a set and install them just to establish exactly were the running/idle fuel level is, generally I like to set the float level on all 3 carbs at the halfway point on the clear plastic float, then re-install the brass screws, don't leave the clear plugs in too long as they will soften/break off, when installing them, just finger tight

What have you done for a choke?

Mike

Mike,

I have 2 sets of springs on order, should be here soon. Just wanted to get it up and running, and see where it's at. Did the idle adjustment as you suggested, front is done, will switch it with the rear next. It needs it, idle speeds up on both sides when blocking the air bleeds on the rear carb.

I'll start with the white as you suggest. And have heard the same about the sight plugs, so I'll do that.

So what do you think of the 4.5 PV? Any chance that is part of my issue?

Haven't done anything with the choke. It's wired open for the moment. I'll either remove it, or install a cable as you suggested. You have a spare one?

Well the 4.5 PV should be OK, the stock set up would be the 6.5, But I understand the 4.5 based on your vacuum manifold baseline reading

But do get the fuel/air mixture ratios set up on all 3 carbs, fuel level, make sure your fuel pump is up to the task psi wise, double check the mechanical operation is 100%, then start playing/tuning the system out to what your motor needs, and you desire performance wise

I do have a spare cable for the choke set up, but you'll need to fabricate some linkage/bracketry unless you'd like me to do that for you?, just let me know

But I would recommend a functioning choke, up to you if you want a hand choke (that I can provide)or if you want to tinker with an electric set up of some kind

Mike