Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By Sinitro
Originally Posted By EV2RUNNER
The head is bolted straight to the block?

Yeah but...
The head and block float above ground..
They are isolated from being a solid, reliable ground as the 12V must try and flow through rubber insulated motor mounts to the car frame. A DIRECT grounding strap from the engine to the frame and/or firewall assures a solid ground connection.
Keep in mind, the starter draws > 100amps and without a solid ground for the 12V- other problems can/will happen..

Just my $0.02.... wink

Don't know what your doing, do ya?

What are you grounding the engine and body to?

The battery

a ground cable from the head to the battery is perfectly acceptable for grounding the engine including the starter. After all the factory grounded million of car that way. The ground between the block and body to to ground the BODY to the engine.

The battery's negative terminal should have a solid, clean ground to the engine block, frame and body. If the Mopar is 50 years old, running a 35 amp alternator with stock accesories one may get by with less... rolleyes
However...
Later cars and/or including Mopars which have been updated to include ECUs, electric fuel pumps, electric fans, subwoofer system REQUIRE a solid high integrity ground system is pertinent for reliable operation.

Regarding the question.. "Don't know what your doing, do ya?"
I would respond to this by saying.. "Yes we do..."

Here is short summary of my background..

* 35 years of experience of designing auto electrical systems
* 40% of the later cars built since 1995 utilize our designed electrical
systems/components
* Designer/builder of multiple high-profile demo cars for CES & SEMA
* Written multiple major publication articles on electrical systems/wiring
* Holder of multiple patents

If U require more info/knowledge on how to wire auto electrical systems and the importance of proper grounding..
PM me and I will forward more details on the subject.

Just my $0.02.. wink