Originally Posted By maximum entropy
4.7s are notorious for slight head gasket leaks. we see this almost daily at my shop, and your symptoms are classic combustion leak. you may even be able to smell a slight whiff of exhaust in the coolant...
I wasn't able to smell it. The leak was tiny, but the chemical tester sure recognized exhaust fumes in the coolant. I pulled all the plugs and scoped each cylinder. I found out that number 5 cylinder had coolant in it. At first I used a UV light and saw the coolant glowing in that cylinder, then I stuck the scope down in and took this crappy pic. Not a high quality image, but you can see the green coolant pooled from about the center, going diagonally to the right corner of the pic.

To be absolutely sure I was seeing coolant, I rocked the truck back and forth...the movement was enough to see the liquid shaking back and forth in the cylinder.

Anyway, I'm glad that I didn't have to pull the head off. I'm pretty impressed with the 4.7L. This thing is running excellent for having 271K. I drive it daily and it doesn't burn a drop of oil and the coolant stays up to the neck now.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02/16/17 01:54 AM.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Automatic (545RFE), RWD
310K mi