Originally Posted By moparx
what did that stuff look like out of the bottle ? was it a liquid only, or did it have some chunky, pepper looking [size wise] stuff suspended in it ?
beer
It was watery liquid with what looked like copper dust floating in it. It was added with water after all coolant was drained and motor flushed with water. I did that via a hose nozzle hooked up to the heater hoses and thermostat removed.

Supposedly the stuff has nano particles, but who knows. The idea is that it flows into the crack/leak and the copper melts into the crack. Since the head is the hottest area, it melts there, but won't elsewhere. Additionally, the liquid is supposed to harden like glass, once it's exposed to air and left to dry.

I didn't want any of that crap in the heater core, so I disconnected the heater hoses and looped the heater lines from engine with a single hose. Furthermore, once I was done driving the 500 miles, I drained the radiator and flushed it with a hose, to get it all out of there. Only the motor had it left in. Heater, radiator hoses and thermostat were removed. I left it to dry for a few days. That's when the stuff hardens.

Its not snake oil, but it's probably not meant for a leak as small as mine was. I'm glad I caught it early. If you search on this stuff, you'll see it worked for many, including one in a jeep forum with a very bad HG leak.

Note: There are many brands out there but do NOT use the ones that are mixed with coolant and are not meant to be drained. Those are the ones that will clog things.

PS: I recall reading somewhere that this stuff is good for a final seal after a HG job.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02/01/17 11:37 PM.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Automatic (545RFE), RWD
310K mi