Yeah, looks pretty in a picture huh?

Well, here's the truth:

Not one wheel arch of that truck measured correctly. mad One of the fronts was off and one of the backs were off. From the front it was flopped one way and from the back it was flopped the other. mad mad mad It was a full spring set-up in the back (not blocks) and eventually the guy that owned it after me, one of the back springs broke. I have a picture of the entire "after" mess but I can't access it.

The ride was absolutely awful. The front I could live with because I like a stiff front-end but the back was unbearable: like First Gen Cummins one-ton unbearable. I spent the big bucks on Rancho 9000 adjustables and they didn't make a lick of difference on the softest setting.

It vibrated. This is common on suspension lifts no matter what anyone tries to tell you. If some Fool with a lifted truck tells you "no problems at all" don't believe them. I went through 3 to 6 u-joints every 50,000 miles. Those "leveling kits" do the same damage to ball joints and CV's on the new trucks. Google it: you'll see.

If I was to do it again? work *Edit* Three options:

1. Leave it. Live with it, these First Gen Rams look great lifted, but they are not meant to be lifted.

2. I might be convinced to have a 1" body lift, and combine it with a 1" lift block on the back and either build my own longer shackles for the front or take out the lower leaf and re-arch them for a 1" front lift.

3. Get a coil spring front set-up out of a Second Gen and the rear spring pack and blocks. There is slightly more forgiveness and just the change-over could get you 2-3". Lots of welding and measuring but that doesn't scare me, I can do it. The improvement in ride quality would be worth it.

Take it from someone with experience: option "1" is the best. wink

Last edited by Grizzly; 10/13/16 03:32 AM.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".