Originally Posted By astjp2
But I watched Chip Foose do it in a week...... violin

I assume this was a sarcastic comment, but I still must reply to it because I hear this a LOT.

yes he CAN do it in a week.

but there are a few things you don't see.
first there are probably at least 5 guys working 12 hour days doing the job. that's 60 hours used in 1 day. multiply that by 5 days that's 300 hours in 1 week. yes it was done in 1 week but a months worth of labor was used.

second his top of the line paint jobs aren't done in 1 week. primers and top coats need time to properly cure. I don't care how much you heat them to cure the primer, and use special short wave lamps to speed cure. it takes time to properly cure primer and top coats until it fully shrinks and fully gasses out. also even the really high solids primers still have solvents in them. I use the newest PPG high solids urethane primer. it cures quickly but I have seen jobs months later and they still soak down and shrink. not as bad as the older stuff but it still shrinks.
I also use water based speed primer. it's not as fast it's advertised and it shrinks also. I also really don't care for how it sands.
the only exception I have seen to this is UV cure primer. I have only seen this used in paint school. prime, UV lamp for 5 min, sand. biggest problem is $$$. the primer is $$$ and the lamps are $$$. and the lamps only do small areas, so the side of a car takes longer than regular primer.

ok rant off.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 07/30/16 12:16 PM.

perception is 90% of reality