Hey Guys,

I Started a new thread on this as the discussion got into it from a Different thread/title and I wanted some more relevant input towards a solution...

Here's the case...

Have a 1970 cuda running a '66 mild 426 with all new 143 tooth ram flywheel, an 11 inch ram clutch, ram borg and beck style pressure plate , ram throw-out and all new pedals/linkage/fork/adjuster/return spring... I verified with brewers that I have the correct 15 inch clutch rod and 9 inch z bar with the 1 1/4 lower offset for the 11 inch bell housing.

I'm having trouble getting the clutch adjustment.

All was good after install but the pedal felt a little weird and there seemed a hint of slip, so I poked around and realized my installer removed the over center spring... recommended for a diaphragm but not borg/beck, so I put it back in, and... pedal feels normal now, except... Now with the spring in, I am caught between adjustments.

At the recommended 1/4 in freeplay at the bearing (by ram) I have the common condition of the pedal not coming all the way up, the over center spring keeps the pedal pinned against the bearing. As I adjust the bearing clearance less it improves... but, I cannot get to the point where the pedal will pop up on it's own like it's supposed to, without running completely out of bearing clearance..

The car sits now with an 1/8th of bearing clearance and requiring a toe lift every time to get the pedal up. It might even pop up over a bump.. thats how close I am !

my questions:

1: Is there a simple solution I'm just missing here ? I did try a longer pedal to z bar rod, but it seems the play in the linkage (all new)is still too much to get the pedal back up past the over center point.

2: Can the over center point be adjusted or modified ? Anyone done this? Mine seems like there is no way to even get the recommended 1 inch play on the pedal...If I can get the "pull down" to start an inch later in pedal travel than it does now... all is good !

3: Does the direction of install on the over center spring affect it's over center point ? i ask because the service manuals and parts book all show the spring installed with the spring towards the firewall and the long part to the pedal... all pictures on the net show it opposite.. spring to pedal and long part to pin close to firewall. Much easier to install the latter way.

4: Anyone running a borg and beck style clutch without an over center spring ? I know guys remove it with a diaphragm.

Help on this topic appreciated... I'm sure allot of other "toe lift" clutches exist out there which owners would love to cure !

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com