Generally I tend to agree with Supercuda about the titles, although the requirements (hassles) and costs can vary greatly from state to state. Here in Arizona it's not too bad and if it were here and I was interested in it it would not necessarily be a show stopper.

"....It really helps if you can find a VIN or serial number or whatever the manufacturer was using at the time....."

If it's still there there should be a tag on the firewall (drivers side) with the body number. The main VIN is hand stamped at the very front of outside the drivers side frame rail (forward of the front tire. As I recall those numbers should match. I personally would run the numbers thru DMV prior to parting with any money.

I would also get the engine serial number (stamped on boss on left side of block between 1 and 2 cylinders) assuming it still has an engine in it and run that thru DMV to. The reason for that is that many states titled the vehicles by the engine number instead of the body numbers.

As soon as the truck is in your possession I would get it and/or the paper work to DMV and get a good title in your name before spending another dime or putting a single new part on it.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction