Well, I can't remember how to "downsize" the pictures I took off my phone, so I will try to describe what I'm seeing.

With the coupler just barely engaged on both splines of the steering box and the steering column shoved all the way forward against the dash, the pivots just barely touch the coupler. I'm about 1-1/4" too short to connect the pivots/shaft into the coupler.

I pulled the steering column out of the car and measured it. From the end of the shaft (no coupler) to the edge of the outer tube is 7-7/16". From the end of the shaft to the edge of the tube with the lockout (not the lockout itself, the tube) is 5-15/16".

I think it has been collapsed about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" for sure. I like the idea of drilling/taping the holes where the shear pins go, screwing in some nylon bolts and then cutting them off flush to make my own replacement shear pins.

Where are those shear pin locations? Will I need to disassemble the column again? Does anyone know how to do this? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"