Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yep, I can and probably will. Anybody have any idea of typical balance variations stock and machine shop wise?

Most any machine shop will get it within a 1/2 gram

MAKE SURE YOU ASK!!!

I bought a crank, pistons and rods with rings and bearings from Scat last summer. I asked them if I should have them balance it or have my own balance done.

They went on to tell me how great their expensive balancing machine was, how experienced they were, how they balanced crate motors for mopar and all these big named drag racers etc.

So i said GO AHEAD.

When I got my kit, the pistons (KB) were STILL wrapped in factory plastic. No attempt was made to make them all the same weight.

Same with the rods. No grinding on big or small ends to match them.

So I got curious and weighed them. They were off +/- 5 grams on the pistons alone. I was pissed and called scat. got into a big argument as they were telling me they did it right and that 5grams doesnt matter and what do i expect for $150. I said, I didnt sset the price- you did. I expected it to be done right.

I did a charge back on my credit card for the cost of the balance cause they would NOT refund my money.

I got it balanced at a local shop. I too am a big fan of balanced motors

Yep that's what you get from some of the mail order type engines & rotating assemblies.
Makes it impossible for the small shops that do it right to to make any money because those big shops cut quality to show a low price.