Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I am NOT trying to start an argument..........I am stating facts. At a certain HP level a 727 is NOT a good monetary investment. You have a bunch of very expensive, trick parts, in a STOCK case. You want to do that, because you are a diehard Mopar guy, that's fine, but it is NOT a wise investment. For less money going aftermarket, you get a better, lighter, more reliable, safer trans.

Somebody ponies up and builds an aftermarket 727 case and some more affordable internals, we might talk............but that probably is NOT going to happen, so it seems a moot point.

So and so has this car with one that runs high 7s.............that's fine too, but frankly these days, high 7s ain't that fast. Nobody seems to be having a problem with the twin turbo Dart guy that runs Dragweek and his car has a 400. Yeah, he broke it, BUT he also found the parts to fix it at the track. Would that have happened with a high buck 727.......likely NO

I'm glad you brought that up Monte, because that's a good place to start. Matt said he ran a 727 for quite a while, and in our short conversation, he intimated that it kept showing "Hot spots in certain places", that caused him to move on to the 400.

That's my point Why can't we have a grown up conversation about what is breaking, how often service is required, and what was done to prolong the problems, rather than a bunch of rhetoric from one side about "Mopar only", and rhetoric from the other side about "aftermarket transmissions". I've ran glides, and they have many shortcomings in certain applications and levels of builds. Like wise with the turbo 400, just because a Rossler 210 is working for Pro-Mods, that certainly doesn't mean every turbo 400 ever built just became bullet proof!

I'd rather move the conversation away from lightweight Pro-flite stuff, and actually talk about how much of the diesel stuff can be used to make a stronger trans.

I'm over my head, most of our 727s have been stock style internals with just a valve body and deep pan, but we've had cars in the high nines at 3000 to 3500lbs. and we had much longer service life with those than the typical glide in the same situation.

I'm inquisitive because I like the idea of a 727 on Drag Week, versus a glide. If it was a racecar, I'd go full JW Glide in a heartbeat.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines