Originally Posted By justinp61
Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
I just got another small roll of flux core wire and will use it with the c25 gas. This process is called dual shield welding and produces near perfect welds for newbies.

This is hilarious but April Fools was Friday! This is like wearing suspenders AND a belt - totally unnecessary. Learn to weld with either/or but both is a crutch you'll never get rid of.

And to the point of producing "near perfect" welds, lets focus on that. First the word "near" - so they're still not "perfect" so why bother! Second, the shielding plays such a small role in the whole scheme of things that using two shielding methods is ridiculous. Torch angle, stickout, voltage/amperage settings and speed of travel play a much larger role in the quality of the weld. Shielding ... you set the gas flow and forget it!

Seriously, you don't take advice from a "beginner" on how to weld !!

Actually shielded gas flux core mig is a very good process in applications that require a lot of penetration. It's also very good for vertical up. It's not needed for sheet metal or light fab work.

I had never seen it used before and I am not a newbie as Stanton seems to think. I started playing with welders in high school metal shop and used a huge DC arc welder to box and Z a Model A frame. I developed some bad habits over the years and found the refresher course helpful. I don't weld every day as some of you do, but I have the equipment to do so. Still playing with cars and will be 70 in August. Just another Old Fart.

Ramcharger Progress 019.JPGRamcharger Progress 021.JPG

1986 Dodge Ramcharger 440 2wd, Bracket Racer Under Construction
1998 Ram 2500 QuadCab, new daily driver.
2008 Honda Element
2014 Carry-On 7x14 Cargo Trailer