Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Originally Posted By 1971 Gran Coupe
Don't buy a Harbor Freight!!

Well I'll represent the cheap welders.

They are NOT equivalent to a Lincoln, Miller, etc...but I can't kill mine either.

I have had a 170a Harbor Freight 220v mig for 3 years and have a couple hundred hours on it by now. I've welded significant items with it, primarily for heavily modified Jeep wranglers. Control arms, track bar mounts, hydro-assist steering bracketry, control arm mounts, roll cages, axle trusses even welded the Knuckle C's to the axle housing (and it hasn't come apart yet).

That welder was $180 or so. The lead is short, the ground wire needed upgraded, and the rollers are not all that good any more. But holy moly, did I get my monies worth out of it. At the time, it's exactly what I needed. I put another hundred or so hours on the machine for sheet metal and rust repair work on my Barracuda. Worked out just fine.

I will replace it with a higher quality machine, when it dies. For what it's worth, I taught myself how to weld on...you guessed it..a 90a Harbor Freight MIG (flux). While that wasn't a "good" machine either, it served it's purpose. I still have it as a 110v option if ever had to take it somewhere that didn't have 220v available.

The barriers to entry for welding is steep enough as it is. Had I purely listened to the "buy one for the rest of your life crowd", I'm not sure I would have ever gotten there. I have around $400 in my 220v machine with a decent hood and a shielding gas tank.

..That's my 2cents.

Thanks for the input. Gives me some more to think about as its more in line with my original thoughts which were small and inexpensive to learn with, then upgrade later.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG