Originally Posted By earthmover
Originally Posted By Challenger340
The old 289/.690" Comp is no slouch, easy on parts, and can make very good power.
We've seen 849hp 753 Trq using it on a 540 with ported INDY "SR" heads, which granted have a better Exh than the EZ Head, nonetheless, pretty forgiving old grind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWhkC4dAI0

We've moved on to a newer SF750 Bench nowadays, so no point going over "where" we had the SR's on the old Bench(they took us some time), but I suspect not that much better than your EZ's.

Nice care to share that build..

Sure, whadda ya wanna know ?
Built/Machined/Porting etc., originally way back in the late 90's early 2000, the video was after refreshening again back in 2010, cliff runnered up with it again that year at the MATS show.
We call it "Ol faithful" because the Engine must have 3000 hits on it over the 15-16 years, with freshenings about every 4-500. Doing VERY WELL for what it is, but Cliff does equally good with thermally stabilizing and taking care of the maintenance.
He knows how to run and maintain it.... so no "problems" whatsoever.

Pretty K.I.S.S. build.
Mega Block, now @ 4.530"
Eagle 4.250 Crank W/2.200"
7.100 Eagles W/2000 upgrade
JE 2618 Dome Piston, "off the shelf"
Std Speed Pro 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 Ringpack, Plasma Moly/Ductile/ SSOU 50 (std tension)
INDY SR's, heavily worked(but no holes or epoxy)
INDY & #8896 Holley progressive 4500
Comp 287"? or 289?(I forget)/.690"... the first grind.
Comp std Roller Lifters(back for rebuild each freshening.
Used to run Crane Golds, which we would just cycle out about ever 3 seasons just for good measure, never a problem, but moved to Harlands a few years back when Gold's went nla with Crane down.

This particular Engine could ignite a very interesting discussion regarding what is "optimum" quench distance on a 4.500" Bore Engines. Suffice to say, our testing does NOT support sub .050", which we consider a 4.00" Bore Engine number ?
Just my thoughts, no wars wanted.

Better to be a "has been" than a "never was".