Ok, I finally got back to the motor. There was NO oil in the bottom of the pan, so I took out the thermostat and finished the cam break-in for another 10 minutes. The 190 thermostat WAS opening fine in boiling water as well.

After that I set the initial timing, we shut down the motor and started looking closer for coolant in the motor.

I pulled the PS valve cover and it looked like we had coolant. A camera down into the lifter valley showed what looked like coolant. I pulled the intake and found this. There was actually green coolant in the upper bolt hole for the timing chain cover and a little coolant pooled by the #1 lifters. There is a little pooled between the lifters for #2 and #4 as well.

When I pulled the intake, I saw a little bit of water run down the inside of the block to where coolant is pooled at the #1 lifters.

There was actually some coolant in the upper bolt hole for the timing chain cover. The screwdriver is pointing to the bolt hole.

I have an old Edelbrock intake and the mating surface to the head seems true with a straight edge laid against it. The intake manifold gasket appeared to form a good seal between the head and intake.

I don't know if the heads are cracked or if I'm not getting a good seal at the front of the heads to the intake and it's allowing coolant into the block.

NO white smoke, or any smoke, out of the tail pipes.

Ideas?

1972 Cuda 340 4 speed, 2001 Ram CTD 4x4 6 speed, 1970 Duster 408 4 speed, 1996 Ram 5.9 2x4 auto, 1965 Coronet 500