I have seen two different manufacturer's initials on the alternator cases, KCP and NW. Would like to hear from anyone on the board if you know what
companies either of these stood for. The internal rotor coating and exterior finish seen on the stator are a tinted electrical varnish. I couldn't find any domestic source and had to create my own to get the correct tint on our restorations. Other things to note which are unique to the NoS examples above:
1. Tan colored brush holder (horizontal brush only). Tan colored insulator between capacitor hardware and rear shell.
2. Brushes are crudely phosphated/and or dichromate finished at the electrical connection point.
3. Red/Orange amperage ID paint is apparently applied before the case assembly takes place. I have never seen any evidence of paint on the stator but have found traces on the backside of the capacitor insulator and mica shield. Also if you look closely some of the numbers stamped into the rear shell you'll see they are done after the orange paint was applied. I have found a couple of NOS rotors with yellow (30 amp) or orange (37 amp) paint on the pully shaft face. It appears to be a trace on the above in Butterscotch71s last NOS pic. Look closely inside the pulley hub at roughly the 11 to 1 O'clock area? Maybe it made it easier to get the correct amperage rotor with the correct part numbered alternator.
4. Most CC NOS alternators (69-71)show some type of very light lime green coating on the alternator shells and some of the hardware. Still working with a commercial chemical plating supplier on getting that tint reproduced.