A customer recently sent me what was represented as an NOS '67 CC alternator. It was purchased from a well-known NOS supplier for some pretty good money. When it arrived, and after spending just a few minutes looking it over, I had to make one of those phone calls the customer never wants to get. It was not only not an NOS unit, but had been rebuilt at least once, possibly twice, before being sold to the sender. To make matters worse, it had a crack in the rear housing that's not repairable. I thought I'd use this unfortunate experience to share a little information conc. original CC alternators (excluding the HD Leece-Neville units):
1. All pre 72 alternators were the round back style. 60 - 69 were single field (one field connector) with 70 and 71 roundbacks having two field connections.
2. All pre 72 CC alternators had a rear shell "raised rib" rotor bearing made by Torrington or Bremen.
3. All had code dates and part numbers stamped on the rectifiers in red(+) and black(-) ink. Most common were the Motorola manufactured diodes - large M stamped in the diode center - for 68 thru 71 model years. I have seen one other manufacturer's logo on diodes.
4. All pre 72 had black cloth wire insulation on the stator to rectifier leads.
5. All originals I have seen had a CC 7 digit part number stamped into the pulley hub face along with either an "S" or "P".
6. The only numbers actually stamped into the case were found on the rear shell and consisted of a three digit QA number ex. 2-4-1, CC part number ex. 3438178, and a three or four digit assembly date ex. 34 69. No other stamped numbers should be on the case or shell. There are date code "clocks" molded into the front and rear shells.
I am just trying to save somebody who might be looking into a future purchase from major disappointment. Hope this helps and be careful out there!