Originally Posted By rowin4
Google you tube Joseph de Simone 3 -d printers are now antiques

His process is already commercially available here.

http://formlabs.com/

What he has done is a better job of refining the laser/resin printing. Luckily that technology has lost its patent (expired do to age of patent) this past February so it has become open technology.

A lot of exciting things can happen with 3d printing technology that most people don't think about. I don't have time to go into all the details but it has the potential to do more than just make prototype parts. I teach this stuff and your talking Environmental impact, lifestyle changes, innovative design princples. Imagine a world where you create mechanical designs or art that can be sold or shared like music on an Ipod.

I will tell you what will determine the presiding 3D manufacturing technology and it won't be what is best. In a few years Amazon/Walmart/Target/ etc will find a technology that will allow them to lease you a 3D printer the likes of which you could never afford. They will do it for cheap/free so they can sell you stuff online and no shipping cost for them except the supplies they may have to send you once a month. Once they latch on to something, better technology will be ignored in the face of profit margins. Think about Betamax vs VHS, the better lost and the higher profit margin product won.